Top 5 Spring Cleaning Tips from Our CEO 0Spring is the season of renewal and awakening. As the days get longer and warmer, our personal energy and moods improve, leading many of us to open the windows and give our homes a serious scrub down. If you are ready to get started, here are some of my best tips for Spring Cleaning:
- Clean Top to Bottom. In each room, start with your ceilings by sweeping them with a soft duster. Wipe down light fixtures and lightbulbs with a soft cloth. While you are up there, change the batteries in your smoke detectors and the direction of your ceiling fans, if necessary. Most fans have a switch on the base to adjust the rotation. You want to make sure your celling fans are running counterclockwise during these warmer months. Next move to cleaning the walls and all hanging items, then on to all items resting on the floor, then on to the floors.
- Purge Expired items. Tackle your medicine cabinet, your pantry and your refrigerator by disposing of all consumable items that have expired. If you have fruits or veggies that are about to go bad, place them in a Ziploc or container in your freezer. You can use the fruits in smoothies and the veggies in juices or soups. Bonus points for washing the inside of your refrigerator and vacuuming its condenser coils to prevent overheating.
- Declutter. Let it go! Let it go! (Sung on the top of my lungs doing my best Elsa impersonation.) Whether you are taking it room by room or following the now-famous method in the Magical Art of Tidying Up, "Konmari" the heck out of your clothes, papers, books and utensil drawers. Make a commitment every day to declutter a new category of belongings or room in your house until it's done. Donate or recycle what you can. Many charitable organizations do home pick up of donated goods.
- Add Some Houseplants to Liven and Clean Up the Place. Not only are they great for your home’s Feng Shui, houseplants are also great air purifiers. Plants absorb toxins from the air and release fresh oxygen. Boston Fern, Palm Trees and English Ivy are some of your best bets.
- Stock up on Celadon Road’s Green Cleaners. Celadon Road’s all natural and organic cleaners are a great choice for Spring Cleaning your home. Our cleaners are scented only with essential oils – no hospital masks necessary! To get started, I recommend an All-Purpose Cleaner, Glass Cleaner and a natural scrubbing cloth. We've got the best products for every room in your house.
#HolidayGiftGuide: Gifts That Will Make Your Best Friend Glow 0
Girlfriends are like sisters...sometimes your besties may even feel like your soulmate. These are the ladies that you can always count on no matter what. They are by your side when you laugh, when you need a good cry and most importantly when you need help looking your absolute best. Long story short, their advice and support is invaluable.
So during this time of holiday gift giving, how do you show your girlfriends just how much you love them? We put together a fool-proof guide of non-toxic, organic gifts that will make your favorite beauties glow from the inside out!
Clarifying Facial Exfoliant
Do your or your bestie struggle with acne-prone skin? Then meet your new secret weapon: noncomedogenic, non-irritating jojoba oil. Moisturize, clean, exfoliate, and help calm acne-prone skin without causing inflammation, thanks to jojoba beads and hard-working alpha acids.
Clarifying Facial Serum
“Strong but gentle” is alive and well in our Clarifying Facial Serum, and problem skin in particular will love the combination. It’s filled with concentrated vitamins and powerful antioxidants, and penetrates deep to deliver where your skin needs it most. So close your eyes, apply a thin layer, and let this highly capable serum do what it does best.
Age Defying Moisturizer
Of course mature skin needs moisture – dare we say that falls under the heading of “no-brainer”? But you’ve got smarts to spare, not to mention a great moisturizer in your corner. After cleansing and toning, apply moisturizer in a thin layer using circular, upward motions. Featuring aloe, witch hazel, carrot, coconut and more, your skin will certainly thank you.
Certified Organic Hair Oil
We all have bad hair days – and sometimes, they’re caused by bad hair products. Not so with Celadon Road’s Certified Organic Hair Oil, featuring near-miraculous combination of almond, jojoba, argan, citrus and other essential oils. It’s a blend designed to slow hair loss, thinning and even greying, thanks to powerful antioxidants that also encourage new cells and strengthen hair to reduce breakage as it grows. Use as a hot oil treatment, an overnight hair mask, or a smoothing serum.
Olive Oil Lip Tints
We all know licking our lips makes them more chapped, not less. But if you’ve ever stopped to consider what you’re ingesting when you sweep on those chemical-filled, waxy sticks…yuck. Our lip balms are made with organic oils, beeswax and herbs – and they’re even flavored with organic peppermint oil for that cool rush you’ve come to enjoy! Best of all, these six gorgeous hues are carmine free, gluten free, and made with Certified Organic ingredients to USDA/NOP standards. Treat your bestie to the entire set – six different shades for every mood.
Eau de Parfum
Today's perfumes are exposing you to any of 600+ industrial chemicals – labeled under the guise of “fragrance” – that can cause some pretty nasty symptoms and potentially dangerous medical conditions. At the same time, simply dabbing on one-note oils doesn’t feel or smell as sophisticated as it should. That’s why Celadon Road has developed a ground- breaking collection of botanical perfumes. They’re inspired by the world around us and designed with an expertly layered complexity – yet crafted only from the finest all-natural essential oils and organic ingredients.
Our pick for the holidays happens to be Lemon Spice, which boasts a refined citrus blend, with piquant, pepper middle notes and sultry base of patchouli and cedar wood. But be sure to check out our full collection for a scent that fits your BFF to-a-t.
Alongside some of our favorites listed above, Celadon Road also offers a host of additional organic skincare, beauty and even eco-concious jewelry options, making it easier than ever to find the perfect gift for each and every girlfriend on your list.
Happy shopping and happy holidays!
#CleanGreen: Understanding the Toxins in Your Home 0Recently we talked about air quality and how to 'grow' fresh air. So by now, you’re probably wondering what brings these toxins into your home? Here are several toxins found in homes and the culprits that bring them in:
- Household cleaners: contribute to indoor air pollution and, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, harbor more than 150 carcinogenic chemicals that can lead to birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders. Consider replacing them with natural, organic, non-toxic products. The EPA reports that household cleaners increase the risk of cancer by 3 times.
- Formaldehyde: carpets, caulking, ceiling tiles, draperies, fabrics, facial tissues, grocery bags, floor coverings, gas stoves, grocery bags, paints, paper towels, permanent press clothing, upholstery.
- Xylene/toluene: adhesives, computer VDU screens, printers, photocopies, floor coverings, particleboard, stains and varnishes, wall coverings.
- Benzene: adhesives, ceiling tiles, printers, floor coverings, paints, particleboard, tobacco smoke, stains and varnishes, wall coverings.
- Chloroform: chlorinated tap water.
- Ammonia: cleaning products, printers, photocopiers.
- Alcohols: carpeting, cosmetics, floor coverings, paints, particleboard, stains and varnishes
- Acetone: cosmetics, nail polish remover, office correction fluid, pre-printed paper forms.
- Pesticides: are harmful to pets, humans and the environment. Use organic pest control measures for home and garden instead.
- Dust and dirt from outside: using a door mat cuts down the toxic lead dust levels in a home virtually in half and taking off your shoes before entering your home cuts the toxic dust down by 60%.